Jump to section:
- Safe Harbor
- Consent and Policy Modification
- How We Collect Personal Information About You
- Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies
- Take Care with Publicly Available Information
- The Way We Use Personal Information
- How We Share Information With Other Parties
- Collection of Personal Information by Third-Party Sites
Magento complies with and participates in the EU Safe Harbor Framework developed by the U.S. Department of Commerce and the European Union regarding the collection, use and retention of Personal Information from the EU. For more information about the Safe Harbor Principles, please visit the U.S. Department of Commerce website at www.export.gov/safeharbor. As part of our participation in the Safe Harbor, we have agreed to TRUSTe’s dispute resolution for disputes relating to compliance with the Safe Harbor Privacy Framework. If after contacting us our response to your privacy concern is unsatisfactory, then you may contact TRUSTe here. Please note that TRUSTe is a privacy solutions provider, and will not be able to assist with other types of issues with your account, such as balances or order fulfillment.
Consent and Policy Modification
How We Collect Personal Information About You
When you visit the Site or use any of the Magento Services, we collect Personal Information sent to us by your computer, mobile phone or other access device. The information sent to us includes data on the pages you access, your computer IP address, device identifiers, the type of operating system you’re using, your location, mobile network information, standard web log data and other information. Web log data includes the browser type you’re using and traffic to and from our Site.
In addition, if you open a Magento account or use Magento Services, we may collect the following types of information:
- Contact information, such as your name, address, phone, email, account type, and other similar information.
- Company Information, such as URL, industry category, revenue, sales data, transaction details, and any other information that is routed or processed through our system.
- Financial Information, such as the bank account numbers and/or credit card numbers that you may use to pay for Magento Services.
- We may also receive information about you from third parties, such as identity verification services.
We also collect information from or about you in other ways, such as through contact with our customer support team, results when you respond to a survey and from interactions with companies that are members of the eBay Inc. corporate family or other companies.
We do not consider Personal Information to include information that is anonymous or that we have made anonymous so that it cannot be used to identify an individual customer and does not contain other information that provides uniquely identifying characteristics (“Anonymous Information”).
Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies
When you access our Site or use Magento Services, we (including companies we work with) may place small data files on your computer or other device. These data files may be cookies, pixel tags, "Flash cookies," or other local storage provided by your browser or associated applications ("Cookies"). We use these technologies to: recognize you as a customer; customize Magento Services, content, and advertising; measure promotional effectiveness; help ensure that your account security is not compromised; mitigate risk and prevent fraud; and to promote trust and safety across our Sites and Magento Services.
We use both session and persistent Cookies. Session Cookies expire and no longer have any effect when you log out of your account or close your browser. Persistent Cookies remain on your device until you erase them or they expire.
We encode our Cookies so that we can interpret the information stored in them. You are free to decline our Cookies if your browser or browser add-on permits, but doing so may interfere with your use of our Site and Magento Services. Refer to the help section of your browser, browser extensions, or installed applications for instructions on blocking, deleting, or disabling Cookies.
Take Care with Publicly Available Information
Any information, video, image, data, text, documents, or other content posted onto a public area, such as the Magento Forum or your Magento website, becomes publicly published content and will be available to all users of that public area, even if such content contains Personal Information. Please note that if you publish your contact information, you may receive unsolicited messages from users and visitors to the Site. We encourage you to publish only information you are sure you want to be accessible to anyone.
The Way We Use Personal Information
Our primary purpose in collecting Personal Information is to provide you with a secure, smooth, efficient, and customized experience. We may use your Personal Information to:
- provide Magento Services and customer support;
- resolve disputes, collect fees, and troubleshoot problems;
- prevent potentially prohibited or illegal activities, and enforce our acontracts;
- customize, measure, and improve Magento Services and the content, layout, and operation of our Sites and applications;
- deliver targeted marketing, service update notices, and promotional offers based on your communication preferences;
- contact you by placing a voice call or through text (SMS) or email messaging;
- compare information for accuracy and verify it with third parties.
How We Share Information With Other Parties
We may share your Personal Information with:
- Companies that are members of the eBay Inc. corporate family -- like eBay, StubHub or PayPal.-- to provide joint content, products, and services (like registration, transactions and customer support), to help detect and prevent potentially illegal acts and violations of our policies, and to guide decisions about their products, services, and communications. Members of our corporate family will use this information to send you marketing communications only if you have requested their services.
- Service providers under contract who help with our business operations such as fraud prevention, bill collection, marketing, and technology services. Our contracts dictate that these service providers only use your Personal Information in connection with the services they perform for us and not for their own benefit.
- Credit bureaus and collection agencies to report account information, as permitted by law.
- Law enforcement, government officials, or other third parties pursuant to a subpoena, court order, or other legal process or requirement applicable to Magento or one of its affiliates; when we need to do so to comply with law or credit card rules; or when we believe, in our sole discretion, that the disclosure of Personal Information is necessary to prevent physical harm or financial loss, to report suspected illegal activity or to investigate violations of our contract.
- Other third parties with your consent or direction to do so.
- Magento will not sell or rent any of your Personal Information to third parties for their marketing purposes without your consent and only shares your Personal Information with third parties as described in this policy.
We may share Anonymous Information with our customers or other third parties to provide information for analytics, website usage or for other retail purposes.
Collection of Personal Information by Third-Party Sites
The security of your Personal Information is very important to us. We follow generally accepted industry standards to protect the Personal Information submitted to us, both during transmission and once we receive it. However, no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. Therefore, while we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your Personal Information, we cannot guarantee its absolute security. If you have any questions about security on the Site, you can contact us via email.While we cannot guarantee privacy perfection, we will address any issue to the best of our abilities as soon as possible.
To the extent that you do provide us with Personal Information, Magento wishes to maintain accurate and complete Personal Information. If you have an Account, you may log-in to your personal profile at any time to add, delete or correct incorrect information. If you do not have an Account and you would like to correct a material inaccuracy in your Personal Information that we may be storing, you may submit an access request by sending an email to us. Your email should include adequate details of your request and also contain the following email topic: "Access Request". We will provide initial responses to access requests within a reasonable period of time. Any action that we take in connection with an access request will be subject to, and in accordance with, the Safe Harbor Principles.
If you have questions or concerns regarding this Privacy Statement, please contact Magento first by sending an email to us or by regular mail to the attention of Legal/Privacy Department, Magento Inc., 2145 Hamilton Avenue, San Jose, California 95125. If you are not satisfied with Magento’s response, you can contact TRUSTe here, fax to 415-520-3420, or mail to TRUSTe Safe Harbor Compliance Dept., click for mailing address. If you are faxing or mailing TRUSTe to lodge a complaint, you must include the following information: the name of company, the alleged privacy violation, your contact information, and whether you would like the particulars of your complaint shared with the company. For information about TRUSTe or the operation of TRUSTe's dispute resolution process, click here or request this information from TRUSTe at any of the addresses listed above. The TRUSTe dispute resolution process shall be conducted in English.
Last Updated: February 2014